Gardening with Liz Fielding

 

I'm not sure if this is advice, exactly, but when, after my husband died nearly three years ago, I moved from our house in Wiltshire, with it's pretty wall garden, I had to start again from scratch.


My ground floor apartment has a triangular shaped courtyard and a long raised bed about a metre and a half wide. And when I say raised, it's over a metre high. I do a lot of my gardening on a stepladder!




I was confronted with an overgrown bed, full of weeds and not much else. A lovely man called Robert came and cleared it for me, leaving a couple of buddleias, a huge deep pink hydrangea and a wonderful clematis montana growing along the fence.

I gave myself a budget – that's a bit of a joke! – and began to order plants. A winter flowering clematis like the one I'd had in my previous garden and quietly grew over a fence and smothered it with pretty white flowers in the winter. It's taken a while to settle in but seems to be bulking up now.



One half of the bed only gets the sun early in the morning and late in the evening. The other other gets a bit baked in the afternoon and I'm beginning to learn what will grow where.



I spent rather a lot of money on a myrtle that I am going to have to move since it clearly needs more sun. It's a learning curve. But the aliums – wild garlic – that I grew under one of the buddleias did wonderfully last spring and I'm hoping for a repeat. I bought some more varieties this autumn. They do spread if they like the location. Fingers crossed.

I have planted loads of the wonderful tete a tete daffodils – small but tough. A blast of yellow, they last for ages and take whatever the weather throws at them.

I have tulips, too. They need planting deep if they are to stay put. And digging up bulbs and replanting them is no fun! This year I've bought a whole lot more, but they will go into pots, topped with wallflowers or forget me nots to prolong the flowering period.



One of excitements this year was my bamboo. I plant it this time two years ago and it just sat there. This summer it suddenly leapt into life and sprouted great long shoots – it's in a pot so won't take over the garden. And for my birthday last year, my daughter gave me a hawthorn – part of my rewilding efforts - which is now bearing berries.

I am concentrating on plants that will benefit the birds and pollinators. Single roses, daisy type dahlias, daisies – I love daisies – and grasses. And this autumn's task is to build a log pile and I need a bird bath. I saw a beauty yesterday...

The joy of a garden, no matter how small,  is that it never stops being a work in progress!



 


Liz Fielding has been writing her award winning romances for nearly thirty years.  The setting for her first book, An Image of You, was drawn on a safari camp in Kenya that she visited regularly when living there with her civil engineer husband, who she met while working in Zambia. She has also lived in Botswana and the Middle East, but has now settled in West Sussex, close to her daughter and grandchildren.

 Website - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Instagram - Bookbub





Her latest book, Christmas Reunion in Paris is out now.

 

Christmas Reunion in Paris (Christmas at the Harrington Park Hotel Book 1)

A Parisian reunion

With the one that got away!


Celebrity chef James Harrington never expected to find himself face-to-face with Chloe, his first love, again… Especially with her working as a chambermaid at his luxury hotel! Their chemistry’s as strong as ever, but it’s clear she’s hiding a secret. This Christmas, can James convince Chloe that their love is worth taking a chance on—again?
Buy on:
Amazon US                  Amazon UK          Amazon Aust

 

 

35 comments:

  1. The book sounds good. Liz’s garden sounds wonderful what a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine. The garden has been lovely this summer, a place a peace to sit and read. Sadly it's getting colder and wetter and I have to get out there and get those bulbs planted!

      Delete
  2. LOVING Liz's garden. A work in progress indeed. Mine is fertilised (generously) with my blood, my sweat and my tears.
    I hope that Liz's books do as well as her garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. There's been a lot of trial and error, finding what will do well where. The one thing I've learned over a lifetime of gardening is not to fight it. Don't struggle trying to grow things that don't like the soil or location. Having said that, I really need to get some ericaceous compost to top dress my azaleas!

      Delete
  3. My dad has usually been the gardener in my garden, but this year, with the restrictions, I had to crack on a tend it myself. And I've thoroughly enjoyed it. It's just finding the time sometimes... and making the most of the good weather. Gardens give so much back too. I've always found mine therapeutic, but even more so this year. Looks stunning, Liz. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa.my Dad taught me to garden, and about wild flowers. Such a gift.

      Delete
  4. Lovely post. I would be climbing the walls if I didn't have my garden. It doesn't matter how large or small a plot, gardening gives so much pleasure and peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There was a young man on Gardener's World who filled a tiny garden with pots filled with colour. My hero.

      Delete
  5. It looks glorious, Liz. I don't have the gardening gene, but I definitely have the "admiring other people's garden" gene. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you. I've just filled a load of pots with tulips for the spring.

      Delete
  7. You've created such a beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden looks lovely. I find gardening soothes my soul. I can't imagine doing so much work on a step ladder- but I am glad you have a system that works for you. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's something therapeutic about gardening. I'm glad you were able to grow a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I'd do without one, Sherry. I'm always looking for something new to plant.

      Delete

  10. Beautiful garden, and it looks like a great book. https://beperes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful garden! Recently, I am also drawn to gardening, so I planted tulips and crocuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bulbs are a great way to start. They come ready packaged to succeed!

      Delete
  12. Really nice. Hava a good day

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really nice, lovely post

    kisses
    www.pimentadeacucar.com

    ReplyDelete