Research Your Story Setting with Kandy Shepherd

My new release Mistletoe Magic in Tahiti is set on the French Polynesian island of Bora Bora. It’s book one in a three-book continuity, published by Harlequin Mills & Boon, entitled The Christmas Pact. Three English sisters make a pact to challenge themselves and spend Christmas on their own in an exotic location. My sister is Sienna, and all her Christmases come at once when she meets Kai!

I must admit to a moment of dismay when my editor asked me to set my story on Bora Bora. But… but… I’ve never been to Bora Bora! And I’ve never set a story somewhere where I’ve never been! How do I do this?



The answer is, of course, research. There’s also the fact that I’ve vacationed on other tropical paradises such as Fiji, New Caledonia, Bali and far-northern Queensland, Australia. While different, some of the experiences are similar.

I must have done a reasonable job on making the location seem authentic, as several people read it and said to me: “I know you hadn’t been to Bora Bora, but I’ve been there and it’s just as I remembered.” Phew!





I’m not sure I would have been able to have got it right without the resources of the internet. There is so much online about that particular island, as Tahiti seems to be one of the most popular destinations in the world. I found an abundance of useful geographical detail for Bora Bora. For example, Christmas time is the region’s wet season with daily rain showers. Those kind of details woven into the story make it seem more authentic.

There were many sites extolling the wonderful tourist amenities. I lingered on the descriptions of those beautiful over-water villas, with their mind-boggling hotel rates! (Of course, an overwater villa made it into the book—as well as onto my wish list.) But what really helped me bring my story to life were peoples’ travel blogs where they detailed their personal reactions to their Bora Bora vacation. I also researched the lifestyles of contemporary Polynesian families, to make Kai’s family seem believable. Then there were the Tahitian black pearls that are important to the story. That research was fascinating!



I’ve seen writing advice that warns us not to spend too much time on research. But as is the way of research, sometimes you only get the information you get by digging deeper. Or find something you weren’t looking for that triggers a story idea. Well, that’s my excuse for spending so much time on the internet!

As for the research on kite-surfing and board surfing that Kai teaches Sienna, I was fortunate enough to be able to do that in real life. There are lots of kite-surfers in Sydney, where I live, so I was able to watch them from the beach. And my wonderful son-in-law is an expert surfer who helped me with Sienna’s surfing lessons from Kai. There are different kinds of research to help you make your story believable and authentic!


About Kandy Shepherd

Kandy Shepherd is a best-selling, award-winning author of contemporary romance. Her heartfelt, passionate stories are set in exciting locations around the world and are published in multiple languages. Kandy believes in love-at-first-sight and real-life romance—she and her husband of many years decided to spend their lives together after three days! She loves it when readers tell her that her books make them laugh and make them cry. Kandy lives near Sydney, Australia with her husband and numerous four-legged friends.




Connect with Kandy Shepherd over the web:


Website        Facebook        Twitter 


Mistletoe Magic in Tahiti: Curl up with this magical Christmas romance! (The Christmas Pact Book 1) 



Healed…

by a mistletoe kiss?

After a bitter divorce, Sienna is spending Christmas on a Tahitian beach! First stop on her "
new me" journey? Surf lessons with blazing-hot water-sports magnate Kai—and quickly adding fling to her itinerary! But Sienna hadn’t factored in falling headfirst for the cautious single dad and his adorable daughter. She knows she can’t stay, but will she walk away from a magical future—together?

From Harlequin Romance: Be swept away by glamorous and heartfelt love stories.

The Christmas Pact

Book 1: Mistletoe Magic in Tahiti by Kandy Shepherd
Book 2: 
Cinderella's Costa Rican Adventure by Scarlet Wilson
Book 3: 
Snowbound Reunion in Japan by Nina Milne

Buy on:

Amazon Kindle.                   Amazon Paperback

Amazon Aust                      Amazon UK

40 comments:

  1. Of course, you could justify going to Bora Bora for "research". Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kandy Shepherd. Visiting Bora Bora did indeed cross my mind, Liz. I would really, really have liked that! But an affordable trip simply didn't fit with my deadline. One day!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for coming by to read this post, Liz!

      Delete
  2. Sounds good -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! You can always go to Bora Bora for research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kandy Shepherd. And one day I definitely will!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for coming by to read this post!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on this new book, Kandy. The storyline sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kandy Shepherd. Thank you Kristin!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for coming by to read this post!

      Delete
  5. Research can take us down some delectable rabbit holes can't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kandy Shepherd. It most certainly can, Elephant's Child!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for coming by to read this post, EC!

      Delete
  6. Gracias por le consejo. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that is so interesting. So glad it has kept you inspired too. All the best to your writing. Thanks for your comment too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kandy Shepherd. Hope you found it useful, Ellie.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for coming by to read this post.

      Delete
  8. I sometimes think research is the most rewarding thing about writing:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kandy Shepherd. I agree, research certainly can be enjoyable, Jablog!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for coming by to read this post, Jabblog!

      Delete
  9. I like your honesty about setting your story in Bora Bora, a place you've never been. Research is a great tool that helps us do a lot of things. Even when writing a post in my little blog, I sometimes research information on the internet.
    Yor newly released book sounds like an amazing romance story and I'm sure it will have big success among the readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kandy Shepherd. Thank you for your kind comment, Duta. I like to check that even the smallest details are correct!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for coming by to read this post, Duta!

      Delete
  10. katrina whittaker26 October 2023 at 23:56

    Bora bora is somewhere I’d love to go !! My bucket list is somewhere like the blue lagoon !! Look forward to reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. research can enrich a story...
    Good luck for your books

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading stories set in exotic locales and Bora Bora is exotic!

    ReplyDelete