Op Shop Shopping with Juanita Kees


Clothes and shoes are a necessary evil to me. No, I’m not a nudist, I’m simply a terrible shopper. But, just like Meg in Promise Me Forever, I do like collecting treasures.
At four foot nine with an hourglass figure, clothes that fit properly are tricky to find. Pants are too long in the leg, too loose at the waist, too tight on the hips etc. Blouses and tops … well, you get the idea.
Often, I’ll stand in the shop and stare at the racks, but nothing will appeal to me.  Online shopping overwhelms me with pages and pages of sometimes uninspiring choices, and then there’s the challenge of which sites are ‘safe’ and which aren’t. Too many online sites have proved to be scams or don’t live up to product expectation. So what is a non-shopaholic author supposed to wear other than her pajamas?
I have a friend, with a keen eye for color and fashion, who wrote a book called Stress Free Dressing. Deb introduced me to op shop (charity shop) shopping and I’ve never looked back. Check out her Facebook page, she has some awesome fashion tips!
Some of the oldest items in my wardrobe, purchased from an op shop, are the ones I get the most comfort out of wearing.
The thing I like about second-hand shops is that they’re not expensive to buy from and I can get a whole season of clothing without emptying the bank account. If you look carefully, you might even find designer labels still with the original price tag attached, for a fraction of the original cost.
And if they don’t fit? I can alter them where needed and not worry about ruining an expensive purchase. This is where my friend Deb comes in again. She is also an excellent seamstress and loves to freshen up second-hand clothes and give them a face-lift where needed. Everyone needs a Deb in their life!
So that’s my advice to you today, dear readers. Pop into your local second-hand charity shop and see what treasures you can find. Not only will you be supporting a good cause, but you will also be helping the environment by recycling.




About Juanita Kees




Juanita escapes the real world by reading and writing Australian Rural Romance novels with elements of suspense, Australian Fantasy Paranormal and Small-Town USA stories. Her romance novels star spirited heroines who give the hero a run for his money before giving in. She creates emotionally engaging worlds steeped in romance, suspense, mystery and intrigue, set in dusty, rural outback Australia and on the NASCAR racetracks of America. When she’s not writing, Juanita is mother to three boys and has a passion for fast cars and country living.

Juanita Kees on the web:



Website    Facebook  Twitter    BookBub     Instagram


Promise Me Forever (Bindarra Creek A Town Reborn Book 8)


News correspondent, Jack Hughes, is sent to sleepy Bindarra Creek to escape the spotlight after a scandalous fake video goes viral. He’s in the fight of his life to save his reputation. In a town only determination has kept from dying, the last thing Jack is looking for is love.
The Bindarra Creek Museum is Meg Moonie’s life. But with her granny dead, a murder suspect on the run and the police asking questions, she struggles to keep the museum and Mary Moonie’s dream alive. Jack is a handsome distraction, but Meg has been hurt by a roving reporter before. Men who couldn’t put down roots never promised forever. If only he wasn’t so easy to fall in love with…

Buy on:

Amazon Kindle              Amazon Paperback

Amazon Aust                  Amazon UK 


22 comments:

  1. Welcome Juanita! And thanks for sharing about yourself! Congratulations on the release of the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Juanita. I hope your book goes gang busters.
    I am a big op shopper myself, but find it hard to get past their books...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, I head for the bookshelf first too :D

      Delete
  3. Nice to meet Juanita, the book sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to meet you too, Christine! Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! I try to write them as cool as possible. Easy to do in a town like Bindarra Creek :)

      Delete
  6. I hate shopping!!! Love this idea though - it's a great idea to reuse something and get 'new to me' but not 'new'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Op shop shopping is like finding treasure, and not just for clothes. I've found so many lovely things on the shelves.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. That would be lovely and most appreciated, thank you!

      Delete
  8. Really enjoy reading style books like this one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You certainly can find a lot of treasures in second-hand stores.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome photo you have shared here, Thanks a lot for sharing it because it make myself to love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing post dear

    Kisses
    www.pimentadeacucar.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I often buy clothes in second hand shops. You can find really nice clothes there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I absolutely adore second hand shopping for everything too. Clothes, books, knick knacks... they have a bit of everything and it is all so affordable and sustainable.

    Olivia-S @ Olivia's Catastrophe

    ReplyDelete