Taking on a Charity Trek with Rachael Thomas



I’ve now undertaken two, week long treks to raise funds for British Heart Foundation. In 2017 I spent five days trekking on The Great Wall of China and last year, five days trekking across the Sahara Desert.


When I signed up for the first trek, I didn’t even own a pair of walking boots, let alone the extensive kit list. I simply enjoyed walking and wanted to raise money for a good cause as well as seeing parts of the world I might not otherwise get to see.
I signed up for the first trek on the spur of the moment, then wondered what I’d done. Most of my fellow trekkers, when we first met, confessed to the same thing. Despite this panic, which built as the trip got closer, it was the most amazing thing I’d done, and I soon signed up for the second trek. Only to have panic all over again!
If you are tempted to step right out of your comfort zone and take on a challenge like this, I’d suggest signing up as far ahead as you can, giving yourself plenty of time to prepare yourself physically and mentally. As well as gather as much of the kit list as possible.
My first line of attack on the physical training was to walk, every day, twice a day. For me that was easy as I have a dog who was more than willing to become my training buddy. If you don’t have a dog, find a friend to fill that gap. It’s so much easier to go out and walk in the wind and rain when you know you must because you’ve committed to it – or the dog is bouncing around!
I also took days off writing to walk along the coastal path near my home, or to trek up to the top of Pen y Fan, in the Brecon Beacons. These longer training treks definitely helped me to prepare for all that walking.

The other part of preparing for such a challenge, is stepping out of your physical comfort zone. Everyone has certain comfort requirements and knowing you will be away living in a way you are not used to is in itself a challenge.
The best way I found to handle that, was to accept the trip will be different to anything you’ve ever done and that it will challenge you in so many ways. For me, sleeping in a tent in the desert, where bathroom facilities were primitive, was not something I looked forward to. But it didn’t seem so bad once I’d told myself, each member of the group would also be in that situation and that once home, I could sleep in my bed, soak in my bath and have all the creature comforts I needed. After all, trekking and living in conditions you are not used to is the reason people will sponsor you and support your fundraising.
Completing such a challenge is an amazing feeling and well worth the hardships you will endure as part of the challenge. You will have raised funds for your cause, tested yourself emotionally and physically and best of all, have a whole new set of friends who will have shared that experience. So, if you are thinking of doing something different, something that will test you, why not give a charity trek a go? If you need a bit more convincing, here’s a few more photographs from China and the desert.





Meet the Author                          Rachael Thomas

I love escaping to distant shores with my characters, entering their glamorous world and feeling all the emotions they experience as they discover their love for one another. A love so strong it will overcome all obstacles eventually, leading to that promised happy ever after.

Connect with Rachael Thomas on the web:


Website         Blog        Facebook                Twitter              Goodreads

Rachael has a new book out this month:


The Greek’s terms?

She must wear his diamond!

Lysandros Drakakis always gets what he wants, and he’s never stopped wanting beautiful pianist Rio Armstrong! A fake engagement to please his family is the perfect opportunity to uncover why she walked away from their powerful connection…and indulge their still-sizzling desire under the Mediterranean sun. But Rio’s heartbreaking revelation changes the stakes—he’s given her his ring, yet now Lysandros finds himself wanting to give Rio everything

Enjoy this dramatic fake engagement romance!



Buy Links

Amazon Kindle        Amazon Paperback       Amazon UK


M&B Aust       B&N     iBooks





12 comments:

  1. I love this post. You must prepare yourself for not just the physical side of this challenge but the mental part of the challenge. Often that is harder than the physical part. I'm glad you succeeded.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like you had fun and the pictures are great. I wouldn't do it but I love seeing pictures of others going places so I can live vicariously through them. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living vicariously through photos and other people recounting their experiences can be just as fun!

      Delete
  3. very adventurous doing these treks! the book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. Another trek could be on the horizon!

      Delete
  4. The mental part is definitely hard to prepare for, but the joy of completing the challenge makes it all worthwhile. Thanks for stopping by Sandee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible experience for you. Kudos to you for stepping up to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing. Such a great way to try something new and make memories forever.

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. A charity trek sounds like a great way to step out of a comfort zone- do something new- and help others. Sounds like an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete