Suzanne Gilchrist Talks About Staying Active

Sometimes life throws us a lot of curve balls and its hard to maintain focus and remain positive. Like many of us, I’ve experienced challenges that have been difficult to navigate at the time.
As a writer, there have been days (if not weeks!) when I’ve felt zero creativity and zero energy to start a new project (or finish it).
Here are a few tips and tricks that have helped me gather my strength and find increased motivation (in no particular order):

1.     Surround yourself with positive people. True friendships are like gold – hard to find and infinitely precious. Take the time to keep your friendships strong and ensure you tell them how much they are valued.


2.     Even more so with family – as time is something none of us can buyback. I always try to maintain contact and spend as much quality time as I can with my brood. 

3.     Music – take time out to simply flop, close your eyes and listen to music that grounds you, soothes you or makes your heart soar. I sometimes dance around the house to a wild beat which also gets the heart pumping and the adrenaline flowing. And singing – who cares if someone hears you? Let it rip!

4.     Walking or any kind of brisk physical exercise – I have always found walking to be an instant source of both inspiration and also lifting of my spirits. There is nothing like the feel of fresh air on your face and sunshine warming your bones. I always chose a place away from cars and noise and I love walking on the beach and also through the Australian bush.

5.     For some weird reason, I get some great writing ideas or find the answers to plot holes when I’m in the shower. Perhaps it’s the white noise that drowns out the surroundings? But since I can’t stand too long in the shower (we’re experience a terrible drought here in Australia at the moment), I often play the sounds of running water / rain / thunderstorms whilst writing or plotting.

6.     If I’m stuck on a plot point or the words won’t come, I go back and read my notes on either the characters or the story outline. Often I write a detailed history of my characters from early years until the current time, and sometimes this gives me additional sub-plots or even helps me over the hump.

7.     If I’m stuck on a particular scene but know what’s going to happen next or even a chapter or few ahead, I’ll write those scenes and get them down while they are fresh in my mind. This can also jumpstart me on the scene I was stuck on previously.

8.     Be kind to yourself. We can’t be expected to know all the answers all the time. Or be superwomen every day. Remind yourself of your achievements and make time to celebrate each one – no matter how big or how small.

9.     And a little pampering goes a long way. My go to for pampering is a relaxing massage then I stagger home, feed my dogs, and collapse on the lounge like a wet noodle with a blissful sigh.

I’d love to hear what works for you.

Suzanne Gilchrist lives in the Hunter Valley, Australia with her family and pets and is the author of over twenty books, several of which have finalled in writing contests. As S. E. Gilchrist, she writes science fiction, ancient historical, apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic romances and romantic suspense. As Suzanne Gilchrist, she writes women’s fiction and contemporary small-town romances, often with a splash of suspense.
Suzanne takes a keen interest in the environment and animal welfare and loves bushwalking and kayaking, spending time with family and friends and walking her dogs. She co-runs Hunter Romance Writers and is the organiser of several group writing ventures.

Suzanne Gilchrist is published with Escape Publishing / Harlequin Australia and is an indie author.
Suzanne Gilchrist on the web:

Website            Facebook         Bookbub

Twitter             Goodreads       Instagram

Take Me Home (Bindarra Creek A Town Reborn)

Forgiving the past was too painful until now.

Almost forty, Abby Taylor has built a new life for herself in the small country town of Bindarra Creek. When an old friend convinces her to give two adolescent boys a temporary home, she is torn between a growing love for these orphans and the grief in her past.

After his marriage fell apart, Roman Taylor has focused on his career. An unexpected phone call sends him rushing to Abby’s side where he is drawn into his estranged wife’s new life – a life that could offer a future he thought he’d lost forever.
Will they seize this second chance to have a family of their own? Or will fate once again destroy their dreams?

Welcome to Bindarra Creek – A Town Reborn, a fictional town set on the western slopes of the New England tablelands. Take me Home is the first book in this new group writing venture series. With a community full of quirky characters, the books feature compelling romance, heart-warming family life, drama, and even suspense.

Buy on:


iBooks      Nook         Kobo     Angus & Robertson   







16 comments:

  1. Great tips from Suzanne and the book sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great advice. We did a bit of house cleaning in our lives. We feel far better for it too. Especially surrounding ourselves with positive people.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thanks for share all these tips darling
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. I appreciate you dropping by Sakuranko. Take care.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy being outdoors for a walk when I feel this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. Something about the wind on my face makes me feel better. Thank you for joining me here.

      Delete
  5. These are great tips. I would love a massage. They are one of my favorite ways of relaxing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should get them more often Jess. Lovely to see you here.

      Delete
  6. Good advice! Surrounding yourself with positive people really does help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thanks for share all these good advices darling
    xx

    ReplyDelete