Make-up with Susan Stephens

I have always loved make-up. This goes without saying as I began my working life on the professional opera stage and later worked in cabaret on the Cunard liners etc. The make-up I used had to be heavy in order to retain my features beneath the blaze of stage lights. I was also ‘painting’ a smooth, unlined canvas.
From a professional case packed full of make-up, it all boils down to this...

An all in one powder/foundation combo, peach coloured lipstick, black mascara, a divine Stila soft kohl liner in grey, a fine black eyeliner pen, peachy-coloured rouge, a taupe eyebrow pencil, a Charlotte Tilbury smokey eye palette, and an eye make-up primer to keep everything in place.

As I’ve grown older I’ve learned to love my face more. I know that sounds contradictory, but I’m not ashamed of my laughter lines, or the lines drawn by the inevitability of loss across the years. 

I do have to be very careful where my eyes are concerned. Once a source of great vanity in my youth, I now have the conundrum of either they weep at the slightest puff of wind or cold air, or at night when I’m asleep they suffer chronic dryness, which means I generally wake up with bright red eyes. But eyes express our thoughts, our character, and how we respond to the world around us and each other,  so I use eye drops and waterproof mascara, and forget about the discomfort. It’s such a small thing in the scheme of things.

The older face is not a smooth, unlined canvas, so thick make-up only lands in the crevices and looks ugly. Less is definitely more. Colours need toning down too. What suited me in my pomp would make me look like a clown now. 
I steer clear of fads and fashions, and strive to enhance without distracting. Eyebrows are essential to frame the eyes and to give the face definition, so I tint mine, as I was born a redhead and they are completely blonde.  

The best piece of make-up advice I can give anyone of any age, is to smile and have confidence. A happy face is an attractive face, and that friendly expression will bring you more happiness than a drawer full of make-up. Having said that - treat yourself - a new lipstick, a blusher that really brings your face alive, or some new eyeshadow, will make you feel good, and I can’t think of anything better than that. 

Love to you all from Susan xxx




Susan was a professional singer before meeting her husband on the tiny Mediterranean island of Malta. In true Harlequin Presents style they met on Monday, became engaged on Friday and were married three months later.

A menagerie consisting of dogs, cats, horses, a donkey, several guinea pigs, a husband and three terrific children, keeps Susan busy when she isn’t writing!

She enjoys entertaining, travel, and going to the theatre. To relax she reads, cooks and plays the piano, and when she's had enough of relaxing she throws herself off mountains on skis, or gallops through the countryside singing loudly.


Susan Stephens on the web:



Website     Facebook    

 Twitter      Instagram 

Snowbound with His Forbidden Innocent


There’s nowhere to hide from their chemistry…

Stacey has worked hard to become a successful businesswoman. She won’t let anyone—even frustratingly sexy tycoon Lucas Da Silva—remind her of the overlooked girl she once was.

Carrying responsibility for his worldwide company and siblings, Lucas is always in control. Especially of himself. But snowbound with Stacey, his best friend’s untouched—and very off-limits!—sister, he discovers temptation like no other. And as their mutual attraction grows hotter than the fire in his luxurious mountain chalet, Lucas has never been so close to breaking the rules…


Amazon UK                  Amazon Aust


20 comments:

  1. Great advice Susan. Smiles and laughter always help! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Valerie :) I couldn’t agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A happy face is an attractive face - this is the real secret of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A smile is infectious, while a sour expression is so discouraging. Exactly as you say, Krolowa, happiness is the secret of real beauty :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you.
    I have earned my grey hairs and wrinkles. All of them.
    No make up here, but I do try to smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure you do, and I hope everyone smiles back. We all need more kindness and happiness in this world, and you’re adding to that each day with your smile!

      Delete
  5. great advice and the book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine! I so enjoy writing these books and try to put my heart into every one. Happy reading, whatever you choose to read :)

      Delete
  6. I love makeup. For a few years I stopped wearing any altogether and then I just wanted to play around with all the new products out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like me, Mary! I go off make-up for ages, and then a birthday or Christmas comes along and someone gives me a gift of make-up to try. I’ve been so lucky this last birthday with a box of sample sized make-up to experiment with - some of it is a bit ‘out there’, but there are plenty of good things to use in the future too.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! I write fiction but I also love to share the honest truth of how my life is, rather than how I would like it to be. It’s tempting to think I would like to lop off a few years, but then I wouldn’t have such a wealth of memories to look back on, or my six grandchildren to spoil!!!

      Delete
  8. Such a lovely post Susan - and great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Rachel! I adore writing fiction, but sometimes it’s equally good to write the plain truth. Blogs, like the books, bring us all closer together xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved all your advice. I hardly used make up but recently started using it.

    And I loved Snowbound with His Forbidden Innocent. The story was intriguing and entertaining. Loved the witty dialogue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nas! I love writing Christmas stories. I love writing stories. I love writing ;) xxx

      Delete
  11. You're so right... smile and be confident no matter what age you are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We should be confident all the time :) Pretty photos ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Kinga. I received an interesting gift this year - an Advent calendar containing small sample size beauty products, so I am experimenting quite a bit at the moment!

    ReplyDelete